Thursday 6 May 2010

Book Recommendation


Inside the Painter's Studio by Joe Fig

"Inside the Painter's Studio collects twenty-four remarkable artist interviews, as well as exclusive visual documentation of their studios. Featured artists were asked a wide range of questions about their day-to-day creative life, covering everything from how they organize their studios to what painting tools they prefer. Artists open up about how they set a creative mood, how they choose titles, and even whether they sit or stand to contemplate their work." http://www.papress.com/html/book.details.page.tpl?isbn=9781568988528

Here's a google book preview just to get a flavour of it: http://books.google.ie/books?id=ZiLe3woEtmwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Inside+the+painter%27s+studio&source=bl&ots=nd5zhu8uVl&sig=_I8dtEDmi4EtLYNJYNxjEyQd8gg&hl=en&ei=rxjjS_2AMcHdsAaWkrwG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

2 comments:

Dougal McKenzie said...

This is now on my wish list of books, so thanks for the pointer! The preview link is handy, looks like a nice mix of painters- Tomaseli and Schutz in particular for me! and also it's dead handy to know what other paint brands people use (I see from your previous 'studio floor' post there's Lukas and Schminke mixed in there for you) I wish I'd paid more attention to good colours earlier on-why do art colleges dole out 'Spectrum' oils- cos they are cheap, that's why! It's only this last couple of years I've been using French manufacturer Sennelier's oils, realised I had to stop being such a tight wad when it came to materials. Anyone tried Blockx (?) Belgian paint. Sennelier very good though I'm finding.

enda o'donoghue said...

Sennelier's oils are beautiful but ohh so expensive. Schminke Norma has been my brand of choice for the past few years, very dependable but rarely blows me away. I use some colours from Rembrandt (who have a very broad selection of unusual tones) and Lukas. So I'm not very stuck to one brand.
I still have a bunch of old Spectrum tubes,left over from college days. I must find something to do with them someday. Never tried Blockx but I hear good things. The other one I always hear great stuff about is Michael Harding Handmade Artists Oil Colours - www.michaelharding.co.uk

The book is great. I would go so far as to say it is one of the best books I have ever read on painting. Mainly because he asks all the questions that any painter would as these artists if they had the chance. It is like having a quick coffee in their studio with them. Questions such as what their brand of paint is, how they structure their time, how they have financed their practice, how they title their work, or how often they clean their studios. All the info is very current and the images great, all from models of the artists studios built by Joe Fig, the writer of the book who is an artist himself. It is a very nice touch also that he turns it all on himself in the end and answers all the questions that he has asked all the other artists. For me it's lovely to see Malcolm Morley in there.